Installation help

I'm looking for some help in installing the stable version of Debian.  I
am having a problem with it reading the root disk.  After loading the
rescue disk it prompts for the root disk, but does not read the drive.
After hitting enter I get this error:

request_module [block-major-2]: Root fs not mounted.

Hitting enter again gives me a kernel panic error.  I have tried the
compact, base, unstable, idepci installs and they all fail to even try
to read the fd0 drive when asking for the root.bin disk.  Doesn't matter
which disk or even if I have no disk in there, it throws the same
errors.

I'm running an P4 with these components:

Asus P4T-E (Socket 478)
P4 1.7
Leadtek Geforce 3 Ti 500
Creative Live! 5.1
3COM 905c
Belkin Firewire

It had Windows 2K installed on it buy the builder to test it and works
just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Frovarp
http://atl.ndsu.edu