Re: devfsd and kde

On Monday 10 December 2001 7:14 am, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:59, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I am struggling a bit with devfsd and could do with some help
> Create a new file /etc/modutils/mysound containing something like the
> following:
> alias /dev/sound sound-module

Thank you very much - worked a treat.

Just one question - since I don't understand the logic of whats happening.
When does devfsd make the compatibility link with /dev/dsp ?  What I thought
was happening was something makes a request to a sound module, this causes
the kernel module loader to call modprobe.  Modprove looks in the alias file
for /dev/sound and finds my sound card (emu10k1) which then loads into
memory. The sound card registers itself which causes devfsd to create the
compatibility links.

The problem I am struggling with (and why I didn't attempt your solution) is
the chicken and egg problem of the access to /dev/dsp being the thing that
needs to trigger the module load.  What have I missed?

The reason I need to understand (and what actually triggered me off in this
direction in the first place), is that I have a similar problem with my
cdroms.  I actually have a ide dvd drive on what previously would have been
/dev/hdd, and a cdrom (cd - writer) on a scsi card. Previously I had
symlinked /dev/dvd to /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 (scsi had been
compiled in to the kernel - but was delaying the boot sequence for 15 secs
whilst scanning the scsi bus and timing out).  I had built scsi as module and
all had stopped working.  Also I had never managed to get cd writing to work,
and had decided to make a push to sort this out.

I assume the correct thing to do for the dvd (is put a file in
/etc/devfs/conf.d with a line like)

LOOKUP ^dvd$ GLOBAL symlink ---

[I have a /dev/dvd entry in /etc/fstab to mount the dvd drive]

But since my IDE CD driver is a module I see the same chicken and egg problem
of not knowing where to link it to. [As I am writing this do I perhaps need
an alias /dev/dvd ide-cd in /etc/modutils/aliases followed by an
update-modules?]

I have not made a start on understanding my scsi problems - these seem to be
multilayered - as far as I can see. I think I need to get the the aic7xxx
module set up to load (perhaps alias /dev/somthing  aic7xxx - but what -
depends on the usage)

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk