Re: Netscape 6.2

on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:16:14AM -0600, DvB (dvanbalen@jam.rr.com) wrote:
> "Paolo Falcone" <fallenlordx@edsamail.com.ph> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:34:25AM -0500, Alec wrote:
> >
> > >Is Netscape 6.2 any good? Is it worth installing? Any reason to >prefer it to Netscape 4.77? How is it different from Mozilla?
> >

> <snip>
>
> > If you're to install to a low-end machine, just go for NS 4.77.
>
> Or one of mozilla's lighter weight offspring (i.e. galeon and skipstone)
> which, I believe, have much smaller footprints. Konqueror's also pretty
> small.

My experience is that Galeon wants a PII-233 or better CPU.  My slowest
desktop is PPro 180, and that's just not enough umph.  My preferred
system is a PIII-600, which handles Galeon with ease (disk swap is a
more significant issue).

Skipstone's mildly lighter, but is still overly sluggish on the PPro.
For informational browsing, I find w3m is my preferred client.  See my
site for a couple of wrappers intended to allow running w3m without
providing a URL (it will open a local bookmarks file if it can find
one), or the provided URL, and for running w3m in a terminal with
screen.  There's a hack with the $SHELL environment variable to allow
spawning new screens within 'screen' and running w3m without explicitly
invoking it, while still allowing proper shelling _out_ of w3m.  I bind
this to <shift><alt>-W on my WindowMaker session for quick browser
access.

For *really* lightweight graphical browsing, there's dillo (marginal
feature support), which *is* packaged for Debian, or Browse-X (ssl and
some related niceness) which _isn't*.  Dillo fires up faster than a
terminal window, and is pretty damned stable, but mangles sites and
doesn't support a slew of things:  frames, ssl, cookies, java,
javascript.

Opera is also frequently mentioned as light, featureful, and
standards-compliant, but is non-free.

Peace.