RE: XFree86 problem, with output

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff [mailto:jcoppock1@attbi.com]
Sent: December 8, 2001 19:50
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: XFree86 problem

> Seneca Cunningham, 2001-Dec-08 09:24 -0500:
>> I have just installed XFree86 onto my computer, tried it with a few
>> configurations that look like what should work, and "Fatal server error:
No
>> valid modes found" and "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or
server
>> shutdown" keeps coming up. I have the rest of the output on file. About
45
>> lines come up saying "VGA16: ... Deleted." are in that file. Anyone know
how
>> to stop this?
>>
>> Seneca
>> seneca@slemish.com
>
> You haven't configured a mode that the video can use, so you are
> getting those messages.  You need to reconfigure with the proper
> information.  Make sure you have the following info on your
> video:
> - chip set: you can go to www.xfree86.org and find the driver to
>   use for your card/chip set.
> - monitor hsync and vsync
> - keyboard and mouse types
> * I think that's all you need
>
> Now, run...
> # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> This will run you through the configuration asking for the above
> information.  After that, go to your normal user mode and run
> startx to see if it worked.
>
> Give it a go, and good luck...jc
>
> --
> Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
> Diggin' Debian		Admin and User

I tried # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but it just gave me the message
debconf: package "xserver-xfree86" is not installed or does not use debconf

I have been playing with the modes all day trying to find one that works,
and there are no longer 45 lines of settings that are deleted, now there are
2, and still I haven't found anything that works, although when I tried
XF86Setup it claimed that "you've got a running server". I like having to
figure some stuff out for myself, but what hsync and vsync settings to use
for an LCD, when everywhere that I have looked claimed that they were
ignored with an LCD.

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com