Re: how to disable gnome panel

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:23:29AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 07:38:39PM +1100, Andrew Sione Taumoefolau (bepempire@optusnet.com.au) wrote:
| > On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:18:53PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| > > My problem with numerous GNOME apps (goats comes to mind) is that they
| > > start the panel.  This is one of several extremely annoying GNOME
| > > behaviors.  Any possibility to override?
| >
| > Maybe you're having this problem because goats isn't a GNOME app
| > proper, but a panel applet?
|
| I believe it's an applet, though it doesn't advertise it as same:

|      Goats is a yellow post-it note applet for the Gnome desktop.
                                      ^^^^^^

It does say just that :-).

| > Other panel applets have the same (irritating) behaviour, but I've
| > never encountered it in any "real" GNOME applications.
|
| It's more than one applet I've encountered that does this.  KDE's apps
| don't seem to have the same behavior.

Apps or applets?  There is a big difference.

| > I'm not sure if this is something you can override. Probably not,
| > unfortunately. If you're averse to running the panel for screen
| > real-estate rather than memory considerations you could create a tiny
| > little floating panel that contained only goats... I probably wouldn't
| > even if I could, though, it's a pretty sensibilities-offending prospect
| > :).
|
| It's not so much the memory (thought that's an issue), it's just a
| matter of environment / desktop control.  I don't like GNOME.  There are
| a few apps which are reasonable.  I'll use them.  Loading the entire
| environment for a single goddamned little utility is a joke though.
|
| There's a distinction between integration and interoperability I'd
| thought we'd learned in the 1990s.

The GNOME Panel is a core part of the GNOME framework.  I was reading
a (old, I printed it quite a while ago but didn't get to reading it)
document about CORBA and GNOME.  It described how the panel is a CORBA
servant that provides a lot of functionality for other servants that
wish to use it.  One of those is managing the piece of the screen
where the applet can draw its pixels.  I think if you want a way to
run an applet without the panel, you would need to create a
panel-look-alike that provided a regular GtkWindow for the applet to
draw itself in.

Anyways the panel is flexible enough that you can have a single panel
with just that applet in it in most places on the edge of your screen.

HTH,
-D

--

But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15