Re: how to disable gnome panel

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:23:29AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 07:38:39PM +1100, Andrew Sione Taumoefolau (bepempire@optusnet.com.au) wrote:
| > On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:18:53PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| > > My problem with numerous GNOME apps (goats comes to mind) is that they
| > > start the panel.  This is one of several extremely annoying GNOME
| > > behaviors.  Any possibility to override?
| >
| > Maybe you're having this problem because goats isn't a GNOME app
| > proper, but a panel applet?
| I believe it's an applet, though it doesn't advertise it as same:
|      Goats is a yellow post-it note applet for the Gnome desktop.

It does say just that :-).

| > Other panel applets have the same (irritating) behaviour, but I've
| > never encountered it in any "real" GNOME applications.
| It's more than one applet I've encountered that does this.  KDE's apps
| don't seem to have the same behavior.

Apps or applets?  There is a big difference.

| > I'm not sure if this is something you can override. Probably not,
| > unfortunately. If you're averse to running the panel for screen
| > real-estate rather than memory considerations you could create a tiny
| > little floating panel that contained only goats... I probably wouldn't
| > even if I could, though, it's a pretty sensibilities-offending prospect
| > :).
| It's not so much the memory (thought that's an issue), it's just a
| matter of environment / desktop control.  I don't like GNOME.  There are
| a few apps which are reasonable.  I'll use them.  Loading the entire
| environment for a single goddamned little utility is a joke though.
| There's a distinction between integration and interoperability I'd
| thought we'd learned in the 1990s.

The GNOME Panel is a core part of the GNOME framework.  I was reading
a (old, I printed it quite a while ago but didn't get to reading it)
document about CORBA and GNOME.  It described how the panel is a CORBA
servant that provides a lot of functionality for other servants that
wish to use it.  One of those is managing the piece of the screen
where the applet can draw its pixels.  I think if you want a way to
run an applet without the panel, you would need to create a
panel-look-alike that provided a regular GtkWindow for the applet to
draw itself in.

Anyways the panel is flexible enough that you can have a single panel
with just that applet in it in most places on the edge of your screen.

But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15