Re: Something more user friendly than XMMS?

Preben Randhol wrote:

> DvB <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> wrote on 07/12/2001 (21:31) :
> >
> > xmms seems pretty user friendly to me... if you really want something
> > else, though, you might check out linuxberg's listing:
>
> Yes for a power user, but not for newbies. One point is that XMMS uses a
> completely different layout than normal programs. Gtcd is much nicer in

  you can use different skins and some of them are fairly similar to
consumer electronics so they should be easy to use for almost everybody.
However, no matter which skin you use it's annoyingly small (unless you
use 320x240 resolution:-)

  what I see as a problem is management of the actual files and
playlists.

  I find freeAmp much better from this perspective - the skins are a lot
better implemented (more flexible) and you have the MyMusic dialog where
you can find all the music on the computer, categorize it by various
criteria, easily create playlists etc.

  however:

  - not sure if I imagine it but it seems that xmms sounds better then
freeAmp,

  - freeAmp is somewhat unstable,

  - while it finds your music for you there seems to be no way to keep
this info updated (when you do find music again it inserts all the songs
again, so you have the songs twice in the list),

  there's also a digital DJ, you put all the stuff into DB and then you
can query it (using simple dialogs, IMO it's usable by beginners) to
play music... IIRC grip (ripper) puts the ripper tracks into digital
DJ's db.

	erik