Re: Something more user friendly than XMMS?

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 12:55, Preben Randhol wrote:
> DvB <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> wrote on 07/12/2001 (21:31) :
> >
> > xmms seems pretty user friendly to me... if you really want something
> > else, though, you might check out linuxberg's listing:
>
> Yes for a power user, but not for newbies. One point is that XMMS uses a
> completely different layout than normal programs. Gtcd is much nicer in
> this respect (though this is for playing CDs). Another thing is that one
> has to know what "pl" means to know that it is useful. And the buttons
> in the Playlist (+File +Dir etc...) are not very easy. etc.. etc..

XMMS is very hard to use at 120 dpi and totally invisible at 200 dpi.  I
like a player that uses regular, scalable GTK+ or Motif widgets and
scalable vector fonts.  Alsaplayer looks pretty good and scales with
screen resolution.  Despite its name, it doesn't require ALSA.

This is the same reason I prefer vlc's UI to Xine's.

-jwb