Re: Progeny Switch

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:54:06AM -0800, Montagne, Michael arranged the electrons something like this:

> I've come to the point where I need to cut the cord with Progeny.  I've read
> the how-tos about converting to Woody and they each seem frought with peril.
> What is wrong with this scenario?  I change my sources.list to include the
> debian sites, run dist-upgrade and call it good.  I'll leave the progeny
> lines in, and as they get outdated, they will be replaced as I run
> dist-upgrades.  That way I can leverage the proper setup that Progeny has
> brought me and I won't have to run modconf or any other complication.

having made the Progeny to Woody conversion my advice would be to
follow the how-to's. I did it exactly as they are written and I had
no problems.

I did have to rename/delete the ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome-desktops dirs
to rebuild my desktop but I believe that was a Gnome change and had
nothing to do with debian.

I'm too new to debian and don't have enough knowledge of dpkg to be
sure, but I'd worry that if you left the progeny lines in your
sources.list that the system might wait to find a package with
-progeny in the deb name rather than update to the newer version number.

A lot of the progeny deb packages have names like
"PackageName-1.1.1-progeny_i386.deb" where woody would be
"PackageName-1.1.1_i386.deb"

I'm not sure exactly what dpkg looks for before upgrading, if it's
purely the version number or what. Maybe someone on the list could let
me know.

My experience in converting from Progeny to Woody following the
how-to's was a pleasant surprise. It's a pretty basic setup on a
single home box so YMMV

--
This is what fascinates me most in exsistence: the peculiar neccessity of
imagining what is, in fact, real.  - Philip Gourevitch

Harold Bibik                     hwbj@borg.com