prolonged number crunching

Hi

I have a program that produces output to STDOUT and will probably take
several days to run. I already figured that it's better to run it using "at"
utility and collect the results by email. This way the program will not be
bound to any specific terminal and, say crashing X, will not interrupt it.

I'm wondering if there's also a way to insure against shutting down of the
machine, i.e. enable saving of the session (RAM) at shutdown and restarting
from where it stopped when the computer is brought up?

Thanks

Alec