Re: power management & monitor

> From: Stephen Gran <gashuffer09@home.com>
> To: Debian-Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> CC: Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org>
> Subject: Re: power management & monitor
>
> Thus spake Dave Sherohman:
> > On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:33:50PM -0800, Jeffrey
> W. Baker wrote:
> > > xset -dpms
> >
> > OK, so how do you make that the default?  I've
> commented out the
> >         Option "DPMS"
> > line in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but it still
> defaults to turning the
> > monitor off after however many minutes.
> Put that line in your ~/.xsession file.

I like this way:

Option "SuspendTime" "time"
sets the inactivity timeout for the "suspend" phase of
DPMS mode. time is in minutes, and the value can be
changed at run-time with xset(1) . Default: 30
minutes. This is only suitable for VESA DPMS
compatible monitors, and may not be supported by all
video drivers. It is only enabled for screens that
have the "DPMS" option set (see the MONITOR section
below).
Option "OffTime" "time"
sets the inactivity timeout for the "off" phase of
DPMS mode. time is in minutes, and the value can be
changed at run-time with xset(1) . Default: 40
minutes. This is only suitable for VESA DPMS
compatible monitors, and may not be supported by all
video drivers. It is only enabled for screens that
have the "DPMS" option set (see the MONITOR section
below).

basically -
add
Option "BlankTime" "15"
Option "StandbyTime" "45"
under the
"ServerFlags" sections of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
this is the "right" way and it will be in effect for
all X-sessions.  I got it from
http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/XF86Config.5.html
HTH -

=====
Shawn Lamson
Debian/GNU Linux Woody
Kernel 2.2.19pre17
XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Jesus Loves You!