Re: prolonged number crunching

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:21:41PM -0500, Alec wrote:
| Hi
|
| I have a program that produces output to STDOUT and will probably take
| several days to run. I already figured that it's better to run it using "at"
| utility and collect the results by email. This way the program will not be
| bound to any specific terminal and, say crashing X, will not interrupt it.

Why not just

    $ the_app > output_file &

and then read the file when it is done (or any time in between if you
want partial answers or indication of progress)

| I'm wondering if there's also a way to insure against shutting down of the
| machine, i.e. enable saving of the session (RAM) at shutdown and restarting
| from where it stopped when the computer is brought up?

Is it a laptop?  If so you can "suspend" (or "hibernate") the system.
This is often done by closing the cover (with the proper BIOS and
system settings).  To restore it, simply open the cover.  Otherwise, I
don't think so.  Just make sure you don't turn it off :-).

-D

--

(E)scape (M)eta (A)lt (C)ontrol (S)hift