Re: prolonged number crunching

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Alec wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a program that produces output to STDOUT and will probably take
> several days to run. I already figured that it's better to run it using "at"
> utility and collect the results by email. This way the program will not be
> bound to any specific terminal and, say crashing X, will not interrupt it.
>
> I'm wondering if there's also a way to insure against shutting down of the
> machine, i.e. enable saving of the session (RAM) at shutdown and restarting
> from where it stopped when the computer is brought up?

Alec,

	Mainframe programmers are very familiar with this requirement :
long running jobs that span are not very unusual in the mainframe
environment. The solution goes by the generic name of checkpoint-restart.
A quick search on the web for that revealed the following link :

http://www.science.uva.nl/research/scs/Software/ckpt/

	I havent tried the software, so this isnt a recommendation. But it
might be just what you need.

Regards,
Jor-el