Re: Thoughts on RTFM

Alan Shutko wrote:

> Jeff.Chimene@etest.com writes:
>
> > For example, I just purchased the Debian distro from LSL. Guess
> > what?
> [...]
> > Tell me, [list], how would you phrase such a question so that it
> > could be solved with "step-by-step instructions" that don't elicit
> > the answer under discussion?
>
> Well, you don't give enough information for anyone to help you but I'd
> suggest something like the following:
>
>   I just bought a CD and my computer won't read it. What's wrong?  I
>   bought it from vendor X, and I've tried Y, Z, and can't think of
>   anything else.  I'm using a XYZZY CD-ROM drive on a Quantum Frobnitz
>   770.  Anybody know of common problems with this vendor or any other
>   possibilities?  Or somewhere else I could look for help?  How could
>   I try to trace this down further?
>
> It would probably yield a few different answers, including some
> step-by-step tips on narrowing down the cause of the failure.

Right on!

Jeff, you're right when you believe that I would generally not answer a
question like "I just bought a CD and my computer won't read it. What's
wrong?".

In fact, I think it's a very poorly worded question, because it simply
does not narrow down the problem space enough.  Eg, one could include
an error message that mount gives, debugging information from the
kernel, or if your newbie enough, not to know that such information
exists, you could describe that eg, the busy light of the CD-ROM keeps
flashing eratically, or that the drive makes funny noises, and the like.
If there's no such behavior, you should write that too, so some options
can be dismissed as possible sources for problems.

I mean, you're the one sitting in front of the damn computer and if you
blindfold us by not giving any relevant information, how are we supposed
to help you?

Especially with a problem like this, which I think is rather unheard of.
As the part about your friends, who's probably just guessing here,
shows: The only way you'll get a answer that solves your problem, is
when someone who once stumbled upon the same problem, recognizes the
symptoms and tells you what he did to make it right.  This is impossible
with the question you've asked!  We all had our share of unrecognized
CDs, with numerous sources of conflicts, *anything* could be wrong with
the CD and/or your setup.

(E.g. I once had a problem, when a old 4speed CD-ROM drive would not
recognized parts of my slink (Debian 2.0) distribution CD, which worked
fine on another machine.  I "solved" the problem, by using the disk set
from a friend, however the drive is now much broken, eg. it won't boot
CDs anymore and fails on a lot of CDs, so I think that my problem with
this particular CD was actually broken hardware.  This could be your
problem as well, but how am I supposed to know?)

Besides, you probably *will* get answers on your question, like "Did you
do XYZ?  Try ABC!  What does SomeMagicTool say, when you try
VeryMysticalProcedure?  Are you sure that the Thingi on your drive is
working properly?"  This is as helpful as one can get in this situation.

Alan gave some wonderful examples, how to narrow down the problem, if
this is not helpful, what are you looking for?  A magic cristal ball?

Cheers,
Viktor

PS: I think, that you mistake would I meant regarding step-by-step
instructions, but I'll save that to another post.

PPS: It's 4:30am and I'm rather stoned, so if my post sounds incoherent
or even offensive, please don't take it as this.

PPPS: I thought it impossible, loosing a (potential) Debian user to
RedHat.  This just doesn't sound right, IMNSHO.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/