Re: serious trouble with exim and procmail

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:08:47PM -0500, as@cynox.ch wrote:
| Hello everybody,
|
| I am having serious trouble with exim and procmail.
| procmail 3.21.20011028
| exim 3.32-2
| Both packages are from testing.
|
| The mail get's passed to exim, and here's what it's got to say. I am
| trying to send a mail to myself (asuzuki@localhost).
| --
| And this is what the log file says:
|
| 2001-11-30 20:05:50 169syi-0000TS-00 <= asuzuki@localhost H=localhost (tulkas) [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=351
| 2001-11-30 20:05:50 169syi-0000TS-00 == ¦/usr/bin/procmail@tulkas.suzuki.home <asuzuki@localhost> D=procmail defer (-1): file existence defer in procmail director: file name for existence test is not fully qualified: \246/usr/bin/procmail
| --

It says that \246/usr/bin/procmail wasn't found.  That's the problem.
Now the question becomes, why was it looking for that?, what is that
\246 character doing?  Usually if there is not a preceding '0' the
number is decimal, otherwise octal.  That character, in latin1, is an
umluat (an 'o' with two dots above it) if '\246' is read as decimal,
or it is a vertical bar with a break in it if '\246' is read as octal.

I notice that the character following the space after the '==' is not
a regular pipe character.  It is 0xa6, which looks very much like a
pipe in latin1 or utf-8.  However a regular pipe character, |, is
0x7c.  0xa6 is not part of the US-ASCII character set.  I bet this is
where your problem is.  Now to check your config file :

| What is going on? I checked out the lines in exim.conf concerning
| procmail, I recreated the configuration file with eximconfig, I
| didn't touch the config!
|
| --exim.conf
| --

This looks the same as mine, and I don't see any pipe characters in my
exim.conf.

I hope you locate where the problem is, and let us know if you do.

-D

--

Q: What is the difference betwee open-source and commercial software?
A: If you have a problem with commercial software you can call a phone