Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200110/msg00635.html

> I have since tried with a 2.4.10 and 2.4.12 kernel
> with the same results, and then I had problems with
> modules as well on the 2.4.12. But like I said, I
> will
> try again tonight and give more details. BTW, these
> problems were with the stock debian kernel packages.
> haven't even tried to compile 2.4.x for myself yet
> using the traditional methods or the debian way.

Dell Latitude CPi D300XT 128MB Ram PII 300Mhz

lilo.conf

vga=1
append="apm=on"
default=Linux22

# kernel 2.4.12
image=/vmlinuz
    initrd=/boot/initrd
    label=LinuxNew
    read-only

# kernel 2.4.10
image=/vmlinuz.old
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.10-686
    label=LinuxOld
    read-only

# kernel 2.2.18pre
image=/vmlinuz.2.2
    label=Linux22
    read-only

Well, shoot. I cleaned up my lilo.conf, found a
mistake when going over it this time and presto, the
2.4.12 kernel booted and the modules loaded but not
pcmcia. Well, I take that back, the pcmcia_core module
loaded, but not the module for my pcmcia NIC.

In fact, here are the modules loaded by 2.2.18pre21

af_packet
xirc2ps_cs
serial_cs
ds
i82365
pcmcia_core
serial
nfs
lockd
sunrpc
smbfs
vfat
unix

And here are the modules loaded by 2.4.12

pcmcia_core
nfs
lockd
sunrpc
smbfs
vfat
fat
rtc
unix
ide-disk
ide-probe-mod
ide-mod
ext2

I tried to insmod i82365.o from
/lib/modules/2.4.12-686/pcmcia and got "i82365.o:
unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_R7651deff" . I got