Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

--- Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net> wrote:

> > --- Xeno Campanoli <xeno@eskimo.com> wrote:

> the
> > > diagnostic:

> root fs
> > > on 01:00

> kernel.
> > >  I've tried several
> rdev
> > > indicates the root
> expect,
> > > and I seem to have good

> > > 		Okay, you were right about initrd.  I took
> that
> > > out and it
> > > 	works.  Thank you.
> > >
> > <<SNIP>>
> >
> > Now, I'm really confused. I haven't been able to
> get
> > any of the 2.4.x debian kernel packages to boot
> and
> > everything I had read previously in the list
> archives
> > indicated that the initrd line was necessary for
> 2.4.x
> > kernels. I never had any problems with 2.0.x or
> 2.2.x
> > kernels.
> >

> I never tried a 2.4.x kernel and I do not know if
> there is a default
> configuration for the 2.4.x debian kernel packages.
> In case there is
> none, could it be that you are expected to have ram
> disk support when
> configuring the 2.4.x debian kernel?
>
> And since you were asking, why won't you add more
> details about what
> you have done and where does the booting process
> stop?

I will when I get home this evening. I've been down
this road on the list before with no relief. I've been
too busy doing some other stuff to go on a "I've got
to make this 2.4.x kernel work" type binge, especially
since my 2.2.x kernel is working nicely. I did however
provide quite a few details on one of my attempts. In
fact here is the message in the archives:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200110/msg00635.html

I have since tried with a 2.4.10 and 2.4.12 kernel
with the same results, and then I had problems with
modules as well on the 2.4.12. But like I said, I will
try again tonight and give more details. BTW, these
problems were with the stock debian kernel packages. I
haven't even tried to compile 2.4.x for myself yet
using the traditional methods or the debian way.

=====
-
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"