Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

On Fre, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:38:00 +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:

> LIDS really makes use of the capabilities stuff that is in the kernel
> anyway.

Capability support is in since 2.2.11 i guess.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~spoon/lcap/

> Well it complements it with file access control lists (and
> maybe some other stuff, I don't have much experience with LIDS), but
> not everything in LIDS is it's own invention.

Of course not. But it's the first implementation that enforces policies
and have extensive logging facilities.

> I think really it should be the software (the deamons running as root)
> itself which should make use of the capabilities, instead of leaving
> this task to the administrator.

Of course. Normal root doesn't have any capabilities in his login shell.
Only the daemons have specified prviliges. This is fixed on a per
exec*() basis which load the specific daemon from a fixed place (inode
nr) from the media.

> Also it's probably generally not that a good (well thought out) idea
> to transfer the security border from root_space <-> normal_user_space
> to lids_protected_space <-> root_and_normal_user_space; there will be
> security holes in LIDS too..

there are 3 stages, not 2. root is still living for the normal user.

Of course there could be security holes, but check out the sources. This
is a simple

#ifdef CONFIG_LIDS

  if(!capable(CAP_SYS_RAWIO)) ...  /* and the logging support */

#endif
  return -EPERM;

LIDS itself is not a monstrous patch which real hardware-low-level
changes. It operates (mainly) cleanly on the kernel-userland interface
and the VFS. Capability support has been there a long time, but not
mandatory.