Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

Just as a note:

LIDS really makes use of the capabilities stuff that is in the kernel anyway. Well it complements it with file access control lists (and maybe some other stuff, I don't have much experience with LIDS), but not everything in LIDS is it's own invention. I think really it should be the software (the deamons running as root) itself which should make use of the capabilities, instead of leaving this task to the administrator.

Also it's probably generally not that a good (well thought out) idea to transfer the security border from root_space <-> normal_user_space to lids_protected_space <-> root_and_normal_user_space; there will be security holes in LIDS too..

christian.