Re: Mail - reasons for trying the fetchmail/procmail/mutt route

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 02:18:49AM +0800, csj wrote:

| Seeking a little clarification: can procmail delete before download? Or
| must it download then delete? I'm getting the impression that the

Neither -- procmail does nothing with network connections.  Procmail
receives the mail message on stdin, then writes it out to somewhere
else (either a file or a pipe).

| /dev/null stuff is for people with the luxury of a broadband
| connection. It would be much better for dialup users to have the cruft
| purged before it gets downloaded.

As far as procmail goes, everything is in the local process space.

| My current solution is to pre-filter (like your pre-cooked noodles) my
| mail using popsneaker. Only after the obvious suspects, like MB-sized
| mail, are eliminated, do I let the actual download take place.
|
| The solution isn't 100% elegant. Because the mail remains after the
| pre-filtering, bad mail can sneak in between the pre-filtering and the
| downloading of the mail. I'm looking for an all-in-one solution.

The solution is to either build a program that can do both the
POP/IMAP connection and filter, and have it get just the headers
before deciding whether or not to get the rest, or to do filtering on
the server.  The latter works great if the server is a unix box and
you have shell access.  You can set up procmail to delete spam from
the server as soon as it arrives, then allow fetchmail to get the rest
and bring it to your local box where you can use procmail to sort to
different folders.

HTH,
-D

--

Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut!