Re: Tar dependencies broken?

I see the same problem; the upgrade tools (e.g. apt-get dist-upgrade
or aptitude) are eager to remove lots of woody packages.  The problem
seems to be that the new tar knocks out cpio, and this in turn takes
out dpkg-dev, which takes out a lot of things.

Here's my list of affected packages:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt-move build-essential cpio cvs-buildpackage debhelper debmake devscripts dh-make dpkg-dev i2c-source
  kernel-package lm-sensors-source realplayer

aptitude shows cpio 2.4.2-38 as the latest, and it's installed on my
system (but scheduled for removal because tar 1.13.25-1 replaces it).

This is with woody sources as of right now.  cpio 2.4.2-39 does not
show up.

tar shows as conflicting with cpio <= 2.4.2-38 and replacing cpio (no
version #).