Re: Tar dependencies broken?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:04:51PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> Fortunately I added the -s option in today's dist-upgrade and saw that
> quite a few packages which I regard as important will be removed. I
> figured out that it has to do with a new version of tar:

Get apt to install a new version of cpio.

cpio 2.4.2-39 looks like it's available in testing, though. To the tar
maintainer: shouldn't the 'Replaces: cpio' be 'Replaces: cpio (<=
2.4.2-38)'? Perhaps this will encourage the packaging system to make
better decisions. Sorry to bring this up so close to the base freeze ...

> $ sudo apt-get install tar
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   alien build-essential cpio debhelper debmake debsums device3dfx-source
>     dh-make dpkg-dev initrd-tools kernel-package

Cheers,