Re: exim: misleading package description?

Thus spake cmasters:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:42:14AM -0800, Kurt Lieber wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 November 2001 11:22 am, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > > That's something I've wondered about for a while...  I've found
> > > exim's .forward filtering to be more than adequate for anything I've
> > > ever wanted to do (and a lot more human-readable to boot), but you
> > > seem to be implying that it's less capable than procmail.  What can
> > > procmail do that exim can't?
> >
> > I meant "cruel" in the sense that exim's filtering syntax is Shakespeare
> > compared to procmail's butchery.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand all the differences between exim and procmail
> > filtering, but here's my limited understanding:
> >
> > * exim allows you to filter without changing the envelope sender -- not sure
> > if procmail can do this.
> > * exim filtering is better at detecting (and preventing) duplicate messages
> > among multiple users
> > * procmail can pipe messages to other programs and use the return code to do
> > futher filtering.  Exim can pipe to external programs as well, but can't
> > (AFAIK) use the return code in any way.
> >
> > Basically, exim is set up to deliver messages, so its filtering is designed
> > with message delivery as the ultimate goal.  Procmail is more of a swiss army
> > knife and has a bit more flexibility.  The two are certainly not mutually
> > exclusive -- one can augment the other.
> >
> Hope you don't mind the interruption. You may have noticed my slew of
> postings about difficulties with sorting mail. I read your reponse to mean
> that I may not even require the services of procmail, as I ~am~ using exim
> as my MTA. Is this correct? I just want fairly simple pre-sorting of mail
> before I read it with mutt.
It's true, if all you want is a simple filter agent, exim can do it
for you via the .filter file.  It may help you sort out your pain, by
removing procmail altogether.  At least it will let you know whether
or not procmal was involved in the problem.
Steve
--
To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three
parts dead.