Re: Thoughts on RTFM

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:41:39 -0500, you wrote:

>cmasters <cmasters@despamnbnet.nb.ca> writes:
>
>> Do you see. No-one can possible be expected to ~read for comprehension~ a
>> manual that has ~not~ been written with a ~complete~ newbie in
>> mind.
<snip all sorts of good stuff>

Dman and Alan,

You both have made excellent points.  Man pages targeted at the newbie
would drag everything down.  If the more common commands/files were to
include concrete examples illustrating the more important options and
their results, then folks like myself could better understand.  Maybe
there's a bug in my cpu instruction set, but I learn new stuff much
better going from concrete to abstract.

It's not necessary to go back to square one each time.  Just a quick
example to tie 50-100 hardcopy pages together, leaving out the esoteric
and arcane would do it.  Esoteric and arcane commands are exempt <g>.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash