Re: IPSEC questions

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:28:06PM -0800, Mike Pfleger wrote:
> I've been looking into ipsec for Linux, and have read the recent posts
> by nate et al.  vpnd and vtun look promising, but I have the unenviable
> circumstance of needing to talk to a 'doze network whose servers talk
> to remote hosts via some ipsec implementation.

FreeS/WAN is the way to go.  It works fine with 2.4.x kernels and will
interoperate with Windows and other FreeS/WAN implementations.  You'll
want to read up on the documentation for interop, as I believe Windows
has some limitations that restrict what FreeS/WAN capabilities you can
use.

I built a FreeS/WAN kernel based on the debian patch package, but I
didn't find that to be any easier than building it following the steps
given on the freeswan.org web site (in fact, that seems to hold true for
all Debian packaged kernel patches...).  I still built my kernel using
make-kpkg, but I did all the patching and building of userland tools by
hand.

noah