Re: IPSEC question addendum

* Mike Pfleger (pfleger@pfleger-precision.com) wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've been looking into ipsec for Linux, and have read the recent posts
> by nate et al.  vpnd and vtun look promising, but I have the unenviable
> circumstance of needing to talk to a 'doze network whose servers talk
> to remote hosts via some ipsec implementation.
>
> Does anyone know about doing this with Linux, and what are the
> implications if using a 2.4.x kernel?  As I indicated in an errant post
> earlier, I've noticed the sad crypto readme for 2.4.x at kernel.org.
> I'm currently reading through the FreeS/WAN docs, but am unsure if I'll
> be needing to move back down to a 2.2.x kernel to make this work.

Adding to my confusion is the fact that there is a debian package for
FreeS/WAN which requires a kernel patch.  When I look at the kernel
patch package, it doesn't specify which kernels it will work with.
Does anyone have any experience with patching kernels with make-kpkg
and this kernel patch?  With which kernels is this known to work
properly?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Pfleger
pfleger@pfleger-precision.com