Re: are unstable xfonts packages still broken?

on Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:12:00PM -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker (jwbaker@acm.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 17:27, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 04:50:56PM -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker (jwbaker@acm.org) wrote:

> > > Er, what?  I've installed several Debian unstable machines and every one
> > > of them has ended up with font problems.  Usually X won't start,
> > > complaining about a missing 'fixed' font.
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell, the font packages in X are broken and always have
> > > been broken.
> >
> > You're welcome to carp and whinge unproductively as you wish.
>
> And you are welcome to miss my point as frequently as you desire,

Sorry.  In fact I had misread.

I read your post as "X fonts are broken and always have been".  Which
wasn't what you'd written.  I'm reading in the problems people have
cited with Gtk font rendering.  My apologies.

> although for the sake of the network let's try and not talk past each
> other.  You cannot possible assert that the problem of XFree86 exiting
> immediately because of missing fonts is a GTK+ problem.  The problem is
> definitely with the font packages in unstable.  I can demonstrate the
> problem with only TWM.  Hell, I can do it without TWM.

The "fixed" font issue is possibly more complex than simply the font
packages.  This is a font defined by an alias which isn't defined on
your system.  The package(s) at fault are those which are updating your
font alias files, or which are changing available fonts without updating
your alias files.  I don't know which packages these are.  I agree that
there is a problem, and that it's past annoyance.

Peace.