Re: are unstable xfonts packages still broken?

on Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 04:50:56PM -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker (jwbaker@acm.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 16:45, Marc Wilson wrote:
>
> > The font packages in X aren't broken and never have been...
>
> Er, what?  I've installed several Debian unstable machines and every one
> of them has ended up with font problems.  Usually X won't start,
> complaining about a missing 'fixed' font.
>
> As far as I can tell, the font packages in X are broken and always have
> been broken.

You're welcome to carp and whinge unproductively as you wish.

The fact is that the XFree project identified this issue as being one of
improper handling of locales nearly three years ago, in 1999.  The font
resolution problems are restricted to Gtk-dependent apps.  This means
GNOME and any other apps built from the Gtk toolset.  My own patch to
the Dillo was to explicitly code the font used.  KDE (based on the Qt
toolkit) is not effected.

The problem would appear to be with Gtk, not the X fonts, despite their
own various shortcomings.

Peace.