Re: port 25 disabled?

At 04:08 PM 11/26/01 -0600, you wrote:

The output is:
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
LISTEN      263/inetd
The difference is 'LISTEN 263 as opposed to what you said LISTEN 19551.
Anything wrong with my output?
On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 15:21, Joe M Mar wrote:

> >Just the configuration it had after a fresh install.  I did not touch any
> >settings because they were working pretty good.
> >
> >What does inetd.conf and hosts.allow and hosts.deny have in them (all in
> >etc)?  You may be blocking external hosts with tcp wrappers.
> >
> >--mike

So there is the ALL: PARANOID directive in hosts.deny.

Exim runs from inetd.conf with this line:

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

netstat -atp |grep smtp shows (as root):

 tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
LISTEN      19551/inetd

Do these hosts you are connecting from have both forward and reverse DNS
records?  This would block them with a line in /var/log/daemon about
refused connections.  If there are no such logs then @home may just
disallow port 25 incoming.

--mike