Re: mp3 encoding

William T Wilson said:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, nate wrote:
>
>> i use l3enc for encoding(very slow but good quality), i found a
>> serial# for it a few years ago(i can't find a way to buy it) and i
>> use
>
> Although l3enc is the only "legal" encoder I know of that runs on
> Linux, I wouldn't necessarily say it has the best quality, except
> at very low bitrates.  I've heard that LAME is the best quality
> encoder at "normal" (128-256K) bitrates.  I do not know which
> encoder is best for variable bitrate.

yeah. i originallly started using it because i encoded stuff
at 32kbps/96kbps for my rio. when i last tried lame(~2 years ago) it
sounded weird(music was not stable, hard to describe  it sounded
wobbly). im not concerned too much about quality(unlike some
who insist on 192kbps or something), but that was far from
usable at the time, sort of like playing a tape in a screwed
up cassette deck. at the time, l3enc sounded better at
32kbps then some other encoders(maybe lame too) at 96kbps.

the key for me though is mp3make. i've tried several X based
CDA->MP3 converters in the past, KDE based, gnome based(can't
remember names off the top of my head) and all of them had
severe problems for me, crashing, or wouldn't encode or
i couldn't figure out the advanced options. as of the
current version it doesnt seem as if mp3make supports
lame out-of-the-box. thought it did .......runs
on 8hz-mp3, l3enc, mp3enc, or bladeenc.

nate