Re: port 25 disabled?

On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 17:48, Joe M Mar wrote:
> At 04:08 PM 11/26/01 -0600, you wrote:
>
> The output is:
> tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
> LISTEN      263/inetd
> The difference is 'LISTEN 263 as opposed to what you said LISTEN 19551.
> Anything wrong with my output?

Nope thats the pid of inetd listening to the port.  It appears you are
set up to receive mail on your machine directly.  Does cat
/var/log/daemon |grep refuse show anything usefull about exim refusing
requests to connect?

For instance my machine loves people from france trying to get to my ftp
daemon, I get like 20 of these a week, 70-80% from france.

Nov 25 15:51:55 richese proftpd[7332]: refused connect from
AAmiens-101-1-4-7.abo.wanadoo.fr
Nov 26 00:51:32 richese proftpd[10137]: refused connect from
APlessis-Bouchard-101-1-5-213.abo.wanadoo.fr

As an aside, people blindly searching for things like this annoy me so I
set my tcpd to modify my ipchains rules to immediately deny all incoming
packets from anyone foolish enough to scan.  This is in addition to a
good set of ipchains rules.

A line in hosts.deny like follows will block people like this
ALL: ALL: spawn (/sbin/ipchains -I input -y -s %a -j DENY -l -p tcp)

Just be SURE to modify your hosts.allow rules for your hosts and
services.  That and check your firewall rules now and again to clean
them out.

--mike