mp3 encoding

I searched old messages and learned that mp3 encoders are not included in
Debian is because of some patent issues, but ...

Has something changed? I did notice some mp3 stuff in the debian packages
list.

If things haven't changed and I'm misunderstanding something I saw, how can
there be so many free mp3 encoders out there?  Are they all violating a
patent?  Or are mp3 encoders not included in Debian because the law is
vague?

Assuming I'm not breaking any laws here, any suggestions on how to get MP3
encoders for Debian Woody?

Thanks!

Jen