Re: mp3 encoding

jennyw wrote:

> I searched old messages and learned that mp3 encoders are not included in
> Debian is because of some patent issues, but ...
>
> Has something changed? I did notice some mp3 stuff in the debian packages
> list.

There are programs to edit mp3 tags, and to play mp3s. Did you find an
mp3 encoder in Debian? If so, which package is it?

> If things haven't changed and I'm misunderstanding something I saw, how can
> there be so many free mp3 encoders out there?  Are they all violating a
> patent?

Anyone distributing an unlicensed mp3 encoder may be vulerable to a
patent infringement lawsuit, or may be required by Thomson to pay
royalties.

> Or are mp3 encoders not included in Debian because the law is
> vague?

Nothing vague about it. There are patents covering crucial aspects of
mp3 encoding, and Thomson, on behalf of Fraunhofer, administers those
patents. I think they've stated in the past that they won't seek
royalties from producers or users of non-commercial products, but they
could change that policy at any time.

> Assuming I'm not breaking any laws here, any suggestions on how to get MP3
> encoders for Debian Woody?

Does it have to be mp3? Ogg Vorbis is a superior format, and is free,
and is available in Debian. Check out the vorbis-tools package. xmms has
vorbis decoding support, and plugins are available for many other
players.

If you really have to have mp3 encoding, a search of the Internet should
be able to turn up some mp3 encoders that run on Linux. Some may be
commercial, and others may theoretically put you at risk of legal action
(not that Thomson is likely to go after private individuals who are
using mp3 only for their own private use), but it's up to you whether
you worry about those issues.

Craig