Re: mp3 encoding

jennyw said:

> violating a patent?  Or are mp3 encoders not included in Debian
> because the law is vague?

i think its the uncertainity. there have been some encoders
in the past that claimed to be free(8hz-mp3 comes to mind)
but eventually were determined not to be. lame is probably
the closest there is to free but i haven't heard of anything
that says whether or not it really works patent free. from
what i remember/read it should be impossible to make a true
mp3 encoder and not violate the patents. i don't have
any urls to verify though.

> Assuming I'm not breaking any laws here, any suggestions on how to
> get MP3 encoders for Debian Woody?

i use l3enc for encoding(very slow but good quality), i found
a serial# for it a few years ago(i can't find a way to buy
it) and i use a program called mp3make(not sure if its
packaged either). its a console based front end to
cdparanoia and 3-4 different encoders including l3enc.
it uses xmcd libraries to access the CDDB, and from what
i read on xmcd's homepage it is "licensed" to access CDDB
so having mp3make piggyback on it works well. im not
sure if CDDB is still being anal about who accesses it.
its by far the most reliable CDA-MP3 converter ive
ever used. very basic, gets the job done. if your
into fancy features it may not work for you.

mp3make is available from freshmeat.net and compiles
easily on woody with the xmcd dev packages installed
(i don't remember which ones off hand but use packages.debian.org
to find them)

it is slow though, even on my 1.3 athlon. since i only
encode it once its not a big deal to me i dont encode
often.

nate