Re: Woody FTP Install?!

Hi Colin,

@ 7:20:35 PM on 11/25/2001, Colin Watson wrote:

>> In order to do an FTP install for woody, I need the baseX.tgz or the
>> baseX.bin files. Only the drivers, root, and rescue images are
>> available (no base install files):

> base*.tgz files are no longer used for woody. Instead, base is
> downloaded on the fly using a tool called debootstrap.

OK, then I had a problem with debootstrap. When I got to the section
where I install the base system, it wouldn't let me download the base
system over ppp, for example, and it didn't even give me the choice of
downloading it over the network (even with my NIC driver found). It
wanted either the CD-ROM or floppies.

Everything when OK, though, using rescue and root floppies along with
base2_2.tgz and drivers.tgz on a CD-R using the default /instamnt
mount point.

I installed the base system, downloaded a fairly decent usable system
via apt then proceeded to dist-upgrade to woody without any problems
(AFAIK).

It was _painfully_ slow over 21,6 dialup, but I eventually got there.

I was really pleased that potato picked up my CD-RW and SCSI adapter.

-Brian