Re: Console characters are garbled after X initialization

on Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 02:48:15PM -0500, Andrew Hurt (apolhurt@starpower.net) wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Have pretty much had a successful transition from Progeny -> Woody.
>
> I am beginning to see, now ;-)
>
> My only real problem lies with the console display after I initialize X.
>
> When I Ctrl-AltF1-F5 (with X on F7), the characters on 1-5 are
> misdisplayed (some as blanks, and others as blocks, &c.).

Try:

    $ reset
    $ vi <return>:q!

...my majick incantation which tends to restore a console screen.

Ideally "reset" does it.  I find that a 'top' session with a few screen
updates helps, and 'vi' will restore a lost cursor.

> In an X terminal, the borders of mc are made of '?'

This is a font issue which I've not resolved myself -- sometimes see it,
sometimes don't.

> I have SVGATextMode 80x50x9 at the tail-end of the boot (2.4.12), 'kbd' is
> not installed, and /etc/console-tools/config is unaltered.
>
> I think that my default font is ISO8859-1.
>
> Any thoughts?

Got beer?

SVGATextMode can muck with console fonts (the funky borders you describe
are more common for me in a console session than in X).  You might try
rerunning it a few times with different resolutions.  There are also
different console fonts (/usr/share/consolefonts/) ...but that doesn't
appear to be your problem.

Peace.