Console characters are garbled after X initialization

Hello all.

Have pretty much had a successful transition from Progeny -> Woody.

I am beginning to see, now ;-)

My only real problem lies with the console display after I initialize X.

When I Ctrl-AltF1-F5 (with X on F7), the characters on 1-5 are misdisplayed (some as blanks, and others as blocks, &c.).

In an X terminal, the borders of mc are made of '?'

I have SVGATextMode 80x50x9 at the tail-end of the boot (2.4.12), 'kbd' is not installed, and /etc/console-tools/config is unaltered.

I think that my default font is ISO8859-1.

Any thoughts?

ah