Re: Debian TVIO like PVR

On Sun Nov 25 12:32:21 2001 Shaya Potter wrote...

>On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 08:45, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I've been playing with this this weekend.
>>
>> Setup is a Athalon 750mhz, very lightly loaded machine, just really running
>> vcr.
>>
>> I found thta with a resoluting of 384x288 I would drop a single frame or so
>> about every 2 to 5 seconds. Change the resolutin to a more usable 640x480,
>> and it goes up to like 25 frames every 2 to 5 seconds (esentially
>> unusable). Loooking at the CPU utilization, it was hovering aroun 40 to 45
>> percetn. Nothing else was going on.
>>
>> So, where is the limitation here? PCI bus transfer speed? or what. How can
>> I improve this?
>
>I'm not an expert at this, this knowledge is just from reading places
>like arstechnica av forum and doom9.
>
>are you trying to encode to Divx? as people have said that takes a lot
>of cpu, and latency (such as interrupts) can kill you.  I'd reccomend
>(especially if you have lots of disk space) to do something like, setup
>a program that captures to Huffyuv (a lossless compression), this will
>take lots of space, but if you set it up to cron encode overnight when
>you aren't capturing you should be fine.

Well. I suppose that depends upon what "lot's" of disk space is. I would
like to be able to record, say 6 to 8 hours worht, before encoding. Any
idea what that would tak?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.