Re: downloading with apt-get --download-only install package

* Michael Heldebrant (hmike@portalofevil.com) [011121 13:38]:
> On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 03:19, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > | sed -e "s/'\(.*\)'/\1/"
>
> Just to make sure I grok this fully:
>
> We're splitting the line into a beginning ', the matching regexp pattern
> of any character as many times as we want, followed by a closing '.
> Then we strip the ' by just substituting the regexp matched portion with
> the \1 argument.

You got it.

> I still don't quite understand why the syntax I was using wasn't working
> but this is my first foray into sed.  I had assumed sed would match any
> and all ' and replace them with null.  Or does the regexp syntax stop
> with the first match per line?

Right. the s/// command takes some flags after the final /; one of them
is g, which indicates global substitution. In plainer terms, this means
to match all occurrences on a line rather than just the first. So you
could have written it like |sed -e "s/'//g"

> > That removes the ticks from the first single-quoted expression in a
> > line. Simpler still (to just remove any ticks):

I realize also, now, that my above description is slightly inaccurate:
what the sed command I gave before would do is to remove the first and
last 's from a line, not the ones surrounding the first quoted
expression. This is because regex matches are greedy, and ' matches .* .
To strictly follow the description I gave (remove quotes from first
single-quoted expression): |sed -e "s/'\([^']*\)'/\1/

That will match an opening ', any number of non-' characters followed by
a ', and replace that whole thing with just the insides of the '...'

> > apt-get install $yourpackages --print-uris -y --reinstall | tail +5 |
> > awk '{print $1} | wget -i -
>
> Slightly complicated command line but it gets the job done.  Perhaps
> this functionality can be integrated into apt as a --redownload switch
> or something.  Worth filing a wishlist bug against it?

I know of (but haven't used enough to speak of its functionality) a
--download-only option; might this be able to get the job done when
combined with --reinstall? Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, and you'd
like to see the feature, go ahead and file the wishlist item. (Couldn't
hurt.)

good times,
Vineet

--
Satan laughs when      #  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will
we kill each other.    #   defend to the death your right to say it."