Re: Debian TVIO like PVR

On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 08:45, Stan Brown wrote:
> I've been playing with this this weekend.
>
> Setup is a Athalon 750mhz, very lightly loaded machine, just really running
> vcr.
>
> I found thta with a resoluting of 384x288 I would drop a single frame or so
> about every 2 to 5 seconds. Change the resolutin to a more usable 640x480,
> and it goes up to like 25 frames every 2 to 5 seconds (esentially
> unusable). Loooking at the CPU utilization, it was hovering aroun 40 to 45
> percetn. Nothing else was going on.
>
> So, where is the limitation here? PCI bus transfer speed? or what. How can
> I improve this?

I'm not an expert at this, this knowledge is just from reading places
like arstechnica av forum and doom9.

are you trying to encode to Divx? as people have said that takes a lot
of cpu, and latency (such as interrupts) can kill you.  I'd reccomend
(especially if you have lots of disk space) to do something like, setup
a program that captures to Huffyuv (a lossless compression), this will
take lots of space, but if you set it up to cron encode overnight when
you aren't capturing you should be fine.

This seems to be how most people who do good TV captures (from reading
Ars) do it manually.

shaya