Re: Framebuffer AVI player?

On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 16:44, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat Nov 24 18:45:28 2001 Jeffrey W. Baker wrote...
> >

> >You are trying to play 24-bit video on an 8-bit display.  Nearly nothing
> >works with 8-bit color because such displays are usually palettes,
> >whereas 16- and 24-bit are continuous color spectra.
> >
> >Change your frame buffer device to 16- or 24-bit color.  You can use the
> >fbset program or change it at boot time.  See the documentation for
> >fbset for more information.
> >
> K, that got me closer. I woulnd up using:
>
> mplayer -vo fbdev -fbmode tv -vm [file_to_play]
>
> Anid it displayed, centered on the framebufer display. However it was
> pretty small (about 3" x 4"),

The framebuffer device does not expose an interface to the hardware
video scaler, and software video scaling is pretty slow.  Mplayer (which
I have never used) may not be capable of software scaline.

> I run fbtv as "fbtv -mtv" and it pretty much fills the entire screen, which
> is what I want to replicate, while playing recoded video.

TV tuners usually include their own scaling hardware, and they draw
directly into the video output.  Hence the difference.  The best
solution would be to define a video mode at the same size as the AVI
files you are playing.  I have special modes I use for playing DVDs, for
example, to match the resolution and frame rate of most films.

-jwb