Re: Don't use kernel 2.4.15/2.5.0 (fs corruption)

Stig Brautaset said:

> Not trying to sound like a wise-guy here, but I don't think you
> should blame the kernel's stability for you failing to make it
> boot.
>
> Sounds more like a configuration error to me (which is ok, I
> remember the config being a bit different from 2.2.x to 2.4.x...).

i suppose its possible.. the system i tried it out on
was running 2.2.19 with 3 raid1 arrays(raid0.36) on an
athlon, and 1 raid0 array

the first problem i encountered when trying to boot 2.4.x(i think
it was .5 or .6) was an "illegal instruction" on every binary
i tried to use. this was with compiling with athlon optimizations.

so i rebooted back to 2.2 and compiled for i686 optimizations,
that one got farther but it thought my raid arrays were unclean
so it tried to scan them(which took 5x longer then it did
under 2.2.x) then it promptly reported it could not
detect any raid ararys(!) and failed to boot(/usr /var /home
are on raid so without them the system is pretty useless).
odd how the ckraid program worked but then the kernel
all-of-a-sudden couldn't detect the raid arrays anymore..

having been compiling my kernels for several years i
was kind of suprised i could not even get basic
functionality out of the thing.

so im stickin to 2.2.x i only wanted to try 2.4.x because
i read that it was possible to capture in 640x480 with
my wintv card..but its not worth it ..

i could understand if i was trying to do something
obscure, but this is very very basic. if this basic
stuff doesn't work then i can't imagine what else
could go wrong if i continued to work at it.