Re: Unidentified subject!

On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 09:25, Brian Furry wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> At work my company is switching to a Novell 5 network and
> the network Jocks said that I can no longer use a local IP
> address.  They said I need to be able to get a novell login\
> prompt on my screen.

Run away!  Novell is a disgusting hack upon DOS 3 + IPX!

> Not a lot of information to go on....
> Does anyone know or have experience getting linux boxxes to
> connect to a novell server???

In 1999 I tried to do this, but it turned out to be very difficult so I
gave up.  At the time, the best thing going was Caldera's Novell Netware
Client for Linux.  This product is discontinued.  It did not support
Netware 5.

> I would only really need to have internet access; I have no
> need for any of their file services.  I used to use 10.10.X.X
> number and they said that to secure internet access from
> the company site under novell 5 IP is no longer used.  IP addressing is
> done at the border manager.  Again not alot of useful information.

Weird decision.  Border Manager has more remote exploits than
Microsoft's CVS tree.  Sounds like you will need to talk IPX to the BM
which will proxy HTTP to the internet for you.  I suggest that driving
rusty nails into your shins will be more pleasant.

-jwb