Problems after upgrade to woody

Hi,

I finally upgraded to woody and mostly everything went smoothly or I
could solve them myself.

But two problems I couldn't figure out myself:

1) I have my xserver up and running. But dpkg tells me that it isn't able
to configure a bunch (12) of xservers. Just one server as an example:

Setting up xserver-svga (3.3.6-39) ...
dpkg: error processing xserver-svga (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

This actually the one I'm using.

What can/should I do? I guess I could safely uninstall the once I'm
not using, but what about xserver-svga?

2) Big problem postgresql: During the upgrade process I let the
installer try to do an automatic update. This obviously failed: In the
automatic_update.log I just have the line Stopping and restarting the
postmaster. Trying to start the postmaster gives:

The database is in an older format that cannot be read by
version 7.1 of PostgreSQL.

The post-installation script should attempt to upgrade the database
automatically.  If it fails, it must be done by hand.
*** READ /usr/share/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.migration.gz FIRST! ***

The version 7.1 postmaster cannot be started until
this is done.

I tried to do the manual update as explained in the
README.Debian.migration but no success.

I finally tried it really by hand, using the programs in
/usr/lib/postgresql/dumpall/6.5. But starting the postmaster there and
than using pg_dumpall gives:

Unsupported frontend protocol.
process_hba_record: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file
Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
psql: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
\connect template1
select datdba into table tmp_pg_shadow       from pg_database where datname = 'template1';
delete from pg_shadow where usesysid <> tmp_pg_shadow.datdba;
drop table tmp_pg_shadow;
copy pg_shadow from stdin;
Unsupported frontend protocol.
process_hba_record: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file
Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
psql: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
\.
Unsupported frontend protocol.
process_hba_record: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file
Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details
psql: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details

And indeed: pg_hba.conf is a symlink to the new pg_hba.conf in
/etc/postgresql.

Any idea how I could get my data back?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andreas Gösele