Re: 8 python packages held back by apt-get on woody

On 24-Nov-2001 Carlos Sousa wrote:
> My daily dist-upgrade has recently started holding back 8 python
> packages (listings below). I usually investigate and resolve these
> issues so as to have as clean a woody system as possible, but trying to
> install one of the packages (idle) makes apt-get want to uninstall 53
> packages, including such items as fetchmailconf, kde and koffice, which
> I obviously want to keep.
>
> I've searched this list's and the testing list's web archives on l.d.o
> and could not find any reference to this problem, so I'm starting to
> think my system might be a bit broken somewhere.

you missed the posts then, it has been much discussed.  What has happened is
the python packages have had their names changed and also been upgraded.  We
now ship python 2.1 as the default.  The packages to be removed have not been
recompiled against the new python yet.  This is mostly fixed in unstable and
will show up in woody over the next week or two.