Misc topics (was Re: ISP asking about switching to Debian from OpenBSD)

on Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 04:59:12PM -0800, Petro (petro@auctionwatch.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 09:40:37PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:12:17AM -0800, Petro (petro@auctionwatch.com)
> > wrote:
> > > On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:04:32PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

<...>

> > >     Oh, and walking through that flicker? That was your power supply,
> >
> > Actually, I checked -- it's a power strip, not a surge protector.  I
> > think it's the heavy electrons, they take longer to slow down ;-)
>
>    No, not the strip, THE SUPPLY, you know that little tin box in the
>    back of your machine that the long black cable sticks into? The one
>    that leads from the powerstrip to the the machine? Most modern
>    powersupplies can handle flickers fairly well.
>
>    (and yes, that was a little more smartass than needed. I know from
>    another list that Karsten isn't an idiot).

Heh.  I'm a smartass though, when I can get away with it.  I'd meant to
clarify that the box wasn't on a surge protector.  And I'm a bit
surprised at the ability to handle current flux.

<...>

> > >     Number 4 is wishful thinking.
> >
> > It's a numbers game.  Debian makes accomplishing # 4 far easier than any
> > other system I'm familiar with.
>
>     The problem is the space between 3 and 4. Mr. Schneier left out a
>     step:
>         3.5 Broadcasting of fix availablility.

Which again Debian speaks to with the apt process.  *If* you're updating
your systems regularly, you're being informed of the updates (or your
system is), and they're being updated.

<...>

> > OpenBSD's audit focusses very heavily on eliminating buffer
> > overflows and looking at use of UID 0.  Between the two of these,
> > you're attacking the foundations of a large number of possible
> > exploits.  The other attack angle is sane configuration defaults.
> > Since the majority of users never touch the defaults, and a large
> > number of exploits are based on buffer attacks, this actually cuts
> > the vulnerability profile significantly.  Debian could learn from
> > this, and is, with the various hardened packages / tasks which can
> > be applied.
>
>    I hope I wasn't taken to be attacking either Debian/Linux or oBSD.
>
>    Both are good systems and both have their place.

Agreed, and no, it's not taken as an attack.  I use oBSD.  I somewhat
like it.  I'm not besotted by it.

<...>

> > >     The web-based scheduling/calendaring pretty much sucks unless
> > >     you're willing to spend money on it. But this is going to be
> > >     true for any platform.
> >
> > Yeah, I guess the word with calendaring that it all sucks, and mostly
> > doesn't exist.

<...>

> > OpenMail's one of HP's worse failings.  The company really ought to
> > pick up the product and run with it, free software if at all possible,
> > and put the squeeze on MSFT.
>
>     The current best bet is the OpenOffice team. They seem to be working
>     with the PHPGroupware guys, which is a decent enough project that
>     just isn't good enough yet, and with the 90/10 rule, I don't know if
>     it will be.

I've sort of tracked this stuff, but not closely.  Evolution's doing
some interesting things, and I'd prefer a modularized, single-app
approach to the monolithic design of OpenOffice.  There's also a largely
moribund OpenFlock project which is aimed at implementing the IETF
calendaring standards.

Peace.