ObElitist (was Re: Virus incident)

on Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 09:37:59AM +1100, John Griffiths (john@capmon.com) wrote:
> >My point wasn't that people who use a .*Microsoft email client are
> >"lesser beings" because they can't make Debian work; I mean that they
> >most likely aren't trying hard enough.  Debian isn't about holding
> >newbies' hands.  There isn't a mailing list dedicated to newbies
> >installing debian.  The information is out there; it's up to them to
> >find it, understand it, and apply it.  It's like a right of passage.
> >
> >Besides, isn't this the debian-user mailing list, for discussions
> >among debian users?
> >

> Some of us have jobs

Some of us have ssh tunnels to real boxen.

...but then, some of us don't have jobs ;-)

> Of that number perhaps we have debian servers at work, or perhaps we have home machines with issues (or both).

Some of us make sure our mailers are wrapped at 72 characters.

> As things stand on this list, a request for help is more likely get a
> snotty message about the mailer used than a helpful reply.

Here's my line, usually given offlist:

    Post your request in an open, coeherent, and legible manner.  That
    means grammar, spelling, using that pesky shift key (but not the one
    labled SHIFT LOCK), and attending to issues like wrap and ASCII
    formatting, 'coz it makes your shit a *lot* easier to read.

I respond to a lot of posts on this list, and particularly try to pitch
in on topics which haven't otherwise been responded to.  A bit of
elitism is a Good Thing® -- it sends the true lusers off to some other
place instead of sucking our bandwidth and Debian Strategic Clue
Reserve®.  I like hitting a range of issues, from other clued users
who're teaching me things (after fifteen years of Unix and almost five
of GNU/Linux), to newbies who indicate a real willingness to learn --
Ian out of South Africa is one who comes to mind recently.  When a 56K
modem doesn't do any good 'coz it's not supported by your ISP, you're
dealing with a measure of challenge most of the US and EU crowd can't
really relate to.

> I may be willing to cop that kind of guff because I really believe in
> Debian,
>
> Others won't.

There are a number of skills which help in tackling this stuff.  Basic
intelligence and a willingness to learn help a lot.  I try not to be
unintentionally rude, or intentionally rude without a reason.  But an
ability to take guff, and to simply tell someone to stuff it, will do
you well.  Can't take the heat?  Stay out.  Ignorant but willing and
able?  Step on in, kid, we'll show you things you never dreamed.

Peace.