Re: Virus incident

Linda Laubenheimer <ljl@rahul.net> writes:

> Brian Nelson wrote:
> >
> > "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> writes:
> >
> > > Hmm, when did this become an elitist, better than you mailing list?  Is this
> > > debian-users or debian-I-am-God-worship-me?
> >
> > Is this debian-user, or newbie@linux-mandrake.com?  Debian's always
> > been elitist.  That's why it's so much fun.
>
> Are you deliberately acting like a poorly reared, snotty pre-teen, or
> is it a genetic fault?

Mostly the former, since this is infinitely more amusing than being
with the relatives, but partly the latter knowing those relatives I'm
avoiding.

> Just because debian is a fine OS, it does not make those of us who
> will use whatever is convenient at the moment some sort of "lesser
> being".

My point wasn't that people who use a .*Microsoft email client are
"lesser beings" because they can't make Debian work; I mean that they
most likely aren't trying hard enough.  Debian isn't about holding
newbies' hands.  There isn't a mailing list dedicated to newbies
installing debian.  The information is out there; it's up to them to
find it, understand it, and apply it.  It's like a right of passage.

Besides, isn't this the debian-user mailing list, for discussions
among debian users?

> I, at least, don't let religious fanaticism interfere with doing a
> job.

I'm not religiously fanatical.  I just have no interest in helping
someone who can't be bothered to read readily available information.
Sure, there may be a rare case that someone using a .*Microsoft mailer
asked a decent question, but when's the last time that happened?

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org