Re: Best choice for video card

David Teague <dbt@tinuviel.cs.wcu.edu> writes:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Patrick McFarland wrote:
>
> > It isnt up to the distro or desktop enviroment to what video
> > card you choice. Its up to the windowing manager.

The window  manager, eh..  I'd be  curious to learn how  the choice of
window manager relates to the choice of video card..

> > recommend an ati raedon or raedon 8500, or any recent matrox
> > card (450+ or 550). Nvidia likes to make their own versions of
> > software often making it incompatible with most setups. This
> > includes their own personal gl library.

I run  a matrox g450 and can  recommend it. If you  compare the matrox
website with other "leading brands",  you'll notice matrox is the only
one that  doesn't come across as  a lot of  unsubstantiated hype. They
actually list have details in their spec sheets, not just adjectives.
The fact that they  support linux (although supposedly "unofficially")
seems to corroborate this.

> I'm running Enlightenment with Gnome 1.4. Can someone advise me
> further?

I'm pretty  sure this is irrelevant  to any practical  choice of video
card. Any  video card you can actually  buy in a store  is easily fast
enough to deal with any window manager. If for some reason you've set up
your window manager to do lots  of OpenGL 3D stuff, make sure the card
you buy has decent accelerated 3D.

Again,  I recommend  Matrox, specifically  the g450,  which  any recent
linux supports pretty much out of the box. Watch out for the g550 though, I'm
not sure if it's supported yet. Probably will be any day now.

OTOH, if you're trying to win Quake framerate competitions, the g450 may not
be your  best bet,  but something  tells me you're  not trying  to win
Quake framerate competitions..

chris