Re: ADSL & USB

On Thursday 22 November 2001 1:34 pm, Vittorio wrote:
> I'd like to use an ADSL modem via USB.
>
> Is there anyone out there having experience of such ADSL modems under
> woody?
>
> Suggestions about particular makes?
>
> Thanks
> Vittorio

Hi,

I'm connecting using ADSL and a Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and it works
brilliantly although it was a pain getting it set up. There is a GPL driver
for it and Alcatel have released a binary management application which you
have to download from their website. For more info -
http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/

2.4.15 kernel includes pppoatm so you don't need to patch the kernel anymore.

I had a bit of trouble getting hotpluging working with Debian (worked with
Redhat) but got it working eventually so if you need anymore info just say.

Nick