Re: Best choice for video card

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:34:17PM -0800, Chris Majewski wrote:
> Again,  I recommend  Matrox, specifically  the g450,  which  any recent
> linux supports pretty much out of the box. Watch out for the g550 though, I'm
> not sure if it's supported yet. Probably will be any day now.

Matrox supports it with a driver... XFree86 doesn't yet incorporate support
beyond the G450.  Simple swap of mga_drv.o and you're up and running with
the G550.  I'm not sure whether X cares about anything the G550 can do over
the G450, though... poking around in the source for the driver the things
it seems to care about are mainly chip ID's and the like.  Oh, and the DVI
support.  The G550 of course has DVI, which their driver supports and XFree
doesn't.

Unless, of course, you're trying to use one in dual-head mode, in which
case a stupid programming error in their driver will limit you to 60 hz
refresh on the second head.  Easy change to the source and then you
recompile the driver... their tech support guy in their Linux forum gave me
the tip.  The fix is supposed to be in the next iteration of the driver.

Except for a temporary abberation (I replaced a Mystique with a TnT for
some silly reason once), I have always used Matrox cards in my machines.  I
wuv my G550. ^_^

--
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net